Tuesday, March 10, 2015

FTIR

     So this is my first time learning Forensic Instrumentation. Its totally new for me. First time enter the class, at first ten minutes, im got very understand what was the lecturer teach. After the 10 minutes im got very blur. All terms is something new for me. Luckily I was not sleepy at all because I am sitting in front of the lecturer. Im just take note anything that the lecturer was saying without knowing what was I wrote haha. First chapter that I learn is Infrared Spectroscopy and Raman Spectroscopy. What was that??? That was my first expectation once I heard that topic.
     After finished those lecture one, the lecturer ask us to open an ifolio to have a look at the group assignment that she had inserted. Oh GOD. How can I do it without nothing I get on that  previous lecture. My group was get an FTIR topic. It was given me a headache at first. After doing some research on google and youtube, I’ve got understood what was teach by the lecturer. It wasn’t that difficult. It seems and sound difficult because of the terms that im not used with I guess.
Here, I want to share some important notes for FTIR topic. What is FTIR? It is an analytical method method to identify polymeric,organic and iorganic materials.  How do it works for an analyzing? The infrared light at the instrument gonna scan the sample and observe the chemical properties  of the sample. What sample can we analyze? The sample that we can analyze were powder sample mix with potassium bromide that place in pellet, solid place in crystal, thin film place in cassette and liquid place between two sodium chloride plate. What sample that we can’t used by using FTIR method? Large quantity of carbon as it is difficult to get spectrum as carbon strongly absorb infrared light that gonna be disturbing the result.

What was the procedure of analyzing? Firstly, the background spectrum was obtain in order to subtract it with test spectrum. It is ensure all part of actual sample can be analyze. Then the sample is analyze by FTIR. It will produce spectrum that displayed in absorbance unit  with some peak. The peak was showing the functional group presence in the sample. Then the spectrum can be compared with the catalogue spectrum in order to find the best match. With that we can knew what the unknown is. That’s all from me, thank you reader !

No comments:

Post a Comment