“ We’re given two hands. One is for helping ourselves and one for
helping others. ”
Last Sunday I’ve started my task
as a volunteer to get involve in teaching the special kids. The class was
started from 8.30 a.m till 2.00 p.m. My session was start arround 10.30a.m.-2
p.m. The class was held at Masjid Saidina Abu Bakar, Bangsar. Frankly said, it
was a little bit awkward and nervous since I had no experience in teaching
those special kids. It’s been a week I’ve doing some research on how to teach
the special kids. According to my little research after ask few nurses and doctor that in charge of
children wards in HUKM , they’re (special kids) usually like a visual learning
such as drawing and also some learning conduct in cheerful vibe. They used to
get bored after 10 minutes and above learning, so we must apply various way to
teach them according to our creativity. So I’ve prepared few song and also some
story that might attract them. I also do downloading few apps in my smart phone
that might help me to handle them with care.
Once arrived at the mosque, ive
started my step entering the class held at computer lab with Basmallah. May God
Bless and ease my job today. My nervous
overloads once I saw three special kids inside doing some process pengajaran
dan pembelajaran with their teacher that I called Kak Mim and also another volunteer,
Munirah. My nervous reach my maximum limit when Kak Mim asked me to introduced
myself to the kids. Gosh! Like serious I have no experience doing some
introduction session with them. I forgot to do some research about how to
introduce myself in front of them. I’ve trying hard to remember few song that I’ve
been memorize just to teach them but my mind was totally blank. I felt nervous
here rather than doing a presentation in front of my kuliah. It’s a very very
different scenario. I’ve took a very deep breathe and started to introduce my
name, Okay guys! Nama kakak Nurul Suhada. Haa… Adik2 boleh panggil kakak Kakak
Sue! Then I just smile and I look at those kid one by one. One of them sit on
wheelchair while another two seems like normal kids. I smile and smiling
brightly to them because seriously I have no idea what to do. Okay to terminate
my awkward moments, I just being myself and try to approach that kids one by
one. I asked their name, The girl andswer me by typing her name on her laptop,
the boy seems too shy with me (Kak Mim answering his name for me) and the wheelchair’s
boy do warmly welcome my presence by saying something, at first I didn’t understand
his words, but Kak Mim was helping me a lot. Thanks Kak Mim! Im really glad both of them showed some
feedback to me.
Then I took a sit next to the wheelchair
boy named Yusof. He was too good and too excellent. Over my expectation I bet.
My tears almost fall when I heard him answering what had been teaching by Kak
Mim just by look on it. He didn’t hold a pencil, he didn’t hold a tablet, what
he can do is by observe and thinking. He’s too good.Im almost speechless. Im try
to adapt with him. By seconds, I can understand well what he had been saying.
After that teaching session, Kak Mim ask me to read a story that had been
written at the back of Yusof’s notebook to him. Kak Mim said that Yusof can
read well. Okay this boy is something! Then im started to read with him. I took
it one by one. I explained every words
to him. What is the best thing is he kept reading with me. Now I can catch up
his words better. Sometime I do stop reading and drawing on whiteboard to
explain to him, sometime I do singing to him, and I various type of teaching
lesson with him. Im happy to see him show a positive feedback. I also do wrote
some homework to him and said to him, “ Ucop… Ni keje rumah Ucop. Jangan lupa
buat tau.” He do nodded and moved his body. I know he wanna said okay! My
session with him over when her mother come to took him. I don’t know why, it
felts sad to finish this lesson with him. I looked on the Yusof and her mother.
Her mother do kiss him at his forehead. I can see love there. A pure love and
bond between mother and son. Her mother say thanks to me. U shouldn’t say
thanks to me auntie. I’m the one who should thanks to you for giving me chance
to learn a lesson that I only got today for entire of my life. This might be a
good beginning for me for this 2016. Bye Yusof, see you next week. Then C1 (8.30a.m-10.30a.m.)
session was done. Actually C1 isn’t my session, since im came earlier, im just
comin to the C1 class. I think after this I will come to both C1 and C2 class since it was too
exciting.
Move to the C2 session, (10.30a.m.-2p.m.),
the first kid I’ve been teaching is Nina in this session. Nina was such a very
pretty and cute girl. She’s alsoa little bit shy to me but she do answering her
name when I ask. Nama sape?Nina.(very
low pitch voice) Umur berapa? Lima. (Gain a very slow pitch). By the ways im
glad she do answering me well. Nevermind Nina, it might took time for you to
adapt with me. I’ll try my best okay dear! Just give me the chance to learn
about you. Nina learning using her ipad. I have to write on the whiteboard and
she learn by typing it back in her ipad. Then I move to Harith, a cute little
boy. At first I do approaching him, he didn’t show a positive feedback to me. I
hold his hand since he was coughing, I guess he had a fever, its hot. Yeah he
might not feeling well today. I try and try to find out his interest. I found out that he love to listen on my
story. After seeing him bored on arranging a cube of color to train his focus
ability and hand movement, I story him with some story of my life. Im relieved
to see him smile. His smile showed that he like it. Then I continued back to
his lesson. He had a tough time on lifting the cube. I try to help him. Slowly
he showed an improvement. The one that touched me is when his hand try to hold
the cube and lifting it. Another hand is holding me tightly. I can felt that he
need someone to lead him. He need someone to help him. So that he can do well. I
move my face closer to him, wipe his saliva and smile to him. You can do it Harith,
you doing well. Don’t give up dear. My pray gonna be with you from now on syg.
My next kid is Alia, Alia was a
very bright girl. She can count well. She can recognized a letter and number
well. She also can read well. “ Papaya, Nenas, Halia, Belon, dua puluh satu”
Imagine she do mention this with his very cute voice. I felt wanna kiss her
once! Such a good and bright girl. The
learning lesson with her is ask he to put the things(sticker) at the proper
number. She doing all those thing with pleasure. She so fast. Im proud of u Liya. Then I move with
the introduction session that already been told by Kak Mim which is Siapa Saya.
After Munirah, I’ve started the session. Hai semua! Nama kakak Kak Sue. Ha cuba
sebut oya nama kakak sape? Oya answer well KaChu haha So cute right. Nina just
look at me. Still shy I bet. Then Harith just smile and move his body (showed
he knew my name), as for Liya, she doesn’t have a very good mood, she’s a little
bored I guess. Nevermind, let’s try next week okay Liya! Then I talk about my
hobby, kakak suka main dengan kura-kura. Haa siapa nak tengok kura-kura kakak? Angkat
tangan. Most of them raised their hand. Im relieves that they’re interested to
my story. I showed to thrm one by one the video of my pot pet. They seems to
like it. Their smile really do make me calm, the innocent smile make me forgot
what I’ve been face out there. Thank you kids tahnk you my syg2 semua. Lot of
love for u guys.
Then another student arrived for
the next session. Kak Mim told me that this session a little differ, just teach
the kids with 1,2,3 with the mainan. I approach one kids named Aqil sitted on
his wheelchair. He always smile. Look
cute and handsome boy! I played a masak-masak with him and Oya. While played I put
some lesson such as 1 plate 2 plate 3 plate. Okay aqil, bagi satu pinggan. He
gave me one. It showed that he learned fast. Just need a little care in
teaching. Then Aqil show me the book rack. He want to read some book. I took
the book and read together with him and Oya. After finished one book I ask him
to complete his task by lifted the cubed according to the color. He do listen
to me well and he do everything well. Then he showed to the book again. Okay,
Aqil was really love to read. I just read to him with some body language, he
seem understand and sometime he laughed. The laughing really make me happy.
Pure happiness. Then imove to Nuha that crying all the session. She seems a
little scared to me. So I just let her with Munirah. Lastly I move to Syahmi.
Such a very fair and cute boy! He can’t sit, he just lying on the tilam . But
he is in learning process.He wanna hold everything that he saw. He do insert
the mainan that I give in the trolley when I asked. A step ahead improvement.
Im so happy.
Last but not least here, I wanna shared that
this is the most valuable thing that I learnt in my life. To teach them, we
have to be prepared mentally and physically. Just be yourself. Our deep heart
will able to manage them well when our first nawaitu is to learnt from them. As for me this isn’t a wasting to
be able to involve with them, its such a best lesson in life that u cant never
learnt outside there. It seems like we are the one who teach them, but actually
they’re the one who teach us. They teach and remind me to be grateful and
thankful for what I am now. They’re my forever kids. I started to love them
from the first sigh I met them. My pray always be with them. May Allah ease
their journey to be able overcome averything that might be come. Ameen!
“We can’t never be direct the wind but we can adjust the sail”

No comments:
Post a Comment